- Masters of Science Degree in Adult Education with an emphasis on Extension Education from Kansas State University.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Agriculture from Kansas State University.
- Recipient of the Kansas State Research and Extension Team Award for Innovating and Programming for his work on the Delaware Watershed Atrazine Education Program and Innovative Dairy Education Efforts.
- Certified Community Coach earned through the Center for Engagement and Community Development, Kansas State University, Manhattan Kansas.
- (2006 – Current) Meadowlark Extension District Director and Community Economic Development Specialist. The extension district covers Nemaha, Jackson and Jefferson counties in Northeast Kansas.
- Previous: (1988-2006) County Extension Agent in Seneca, Kansas serving Nemaha County.
In 2010, David Key worked with Janet Miller, previous NEKEF Facilitator, to develop the Northeast Kansas Entrepreneurship Academy for teens interested in entrepreneurship. An ongoing project the Entrepreneurship Academy has graduated forty nine students of which twelve are currently operating a business in the region.